Did you purchase a Miniature Schnauzer puppy with a birth date of 20 July 2014 from Little Rascals in September or October (or later) of 2014 ? If so, please read on.
In September 2014 Little Rascals advertised a litter of so-called ‘Pedigree‘ Miniature Schnauzer puppies :
When you arrived at Little Rascals‘ premises to buy one of these puppies you (hopefully) asked to see mum and dad because they were advertised as “home bred” and “both parents” could be seen, but you were unable to see either parent because, as it turns out, your puppy was actually imported.
The paperwork relating to the sale will show a birth date of 20 July 2014 and should indicate that your puppy was imported from a dog breeder in Ireland, by the name of Liam Crosby, who gives his vague address as Tubrid Upper, Barna, Co. Kilkenny.
The paperwork will also show that your puppy was only 6 weeks old when he/she was microchipped and received a Rabies vaccination on the same day, prior to export from Ireland.
This is illegal practice by the breeder, the resellers (Little Rascals) and the vet who administered the vaccine.
From the Department of Agriculture, Ireland [link]:
- Animals must be a minimum of 12 weeks old at the date the rabies vaccine was administered. Vaccinations administered before 12 weeks of age will be deemed invalid for travel within the EU.
- Rabies vaccinations must be administered by an authorised qualified Veterinary Practitioner.
- Rabies vaccination must not precede the date the microchip was inserted/read.
- Immunity takes effect not less than 21 days from the completion of the vaccination protocol for the primary vaccination(s), or longer based on the manufacturer’s instructions. . Example: rabies vaccination administered on 01/01/2016 coverage is effective on 22/01/2016.
- Booster vaccinations (shots) are exempt from the 21 day validity period once there was no break in coverage.If there is a break in coverage then the next vaccination will be considered a primary vaccination.
To sum up
- The date for your puppy’s Rabies vaccination is 2 September 2014 (6 weeks old);
- Rabies vaccinations must not be given before 12 weeks of age;
- Rabies vaccinations should not be given before microchipping takes place (microchipping is not recommended in puppies under 6 weeks anyway)
- Rabies vaccinations only become effective a minimum of three weeks after being administered, meaning a puppy should not be exported from the country of origin until at least 21 days has elapsed since the vaccine was given (your puppy should not have left Ireland until the beginning of November 2014).
- Your puppy was undoubtedly taken from his/her mother before 8 weeks
- Your puppy was illegally imported between 6 and 9 weeks of age
- Your puppy was 9 weeks old when first advertised for sale by Little Rascals – he/she should have been at least 15 weeks old
- Your puppy was NOT home bred (Liam Crosby is a puppy farmer with a deliberately obscure address)
- Your puppy’s pedigree papers (if Little Rascals supplied any) are completely worthless
- Your puppy’s vaccination certificates were equally worthless
- Your puppy’s parents probably have a life of misery, the mother churning out puppies year on year.
The breeder / supplier of these miniature Schnauzer puppies – Liam Crosby – has a licence for up to 65 breeding bitches and an unspecified number of stud dogs. He gives his address as – Tubrid Upper, Barna, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland.
We contacted the Ireland postal service, An Post, to enquire if that address is valid, and received this reply:
Another example of Little Rascals‘ associates and suppliers with obscure or fake addresses [see Paddy Dooley]. There can be only one reason for these puppy farmers deliberately withholding their locations.
There are sound and ethical reasons why it is illegal to Rabies’ vaccinate puppies before 12 weeks. The vaccine is highly dangerous for younger puppies with under-developed and delicate immune systems, and even more dangerous when unscrupulous, depraved and corrupt LICENSED dog breeders remove puppies from their mothers before 8 weeks of age. In addition, a vaccine given before 12 weeks may not be active.
Because these under-age puppies were microchipped and illegally Rabies vaccinated on the same day, please have your dog scanned to make sure the microchip is still active.
Little Rascals knowingly committed fraud by advertising these puppies as ‘home bred‘ and ‘both parents can be seen‘.
Little Rascals deliberately risked the health and life of puppies exported at far too young an age. They broke animal welfare and transportation laws by knowingly importing under-age and illegally vaccinated puppies from a supplier who broke his own country’s live animal import/export laws.
It obviously isn’t the first or last time this has happened. They should all lose their breeding licences and the veterinary surgeon should be struck off.
Please don’t think this is an isolated incident because you assume that fully LICENSED Dog Breeders in Ireland are usually well monitored – they are not ….